After many months of thinking you have finally reached the decision: you are getting married in Hvar, Croatia.
The idea of organizing a destination wedding may scare you as you probably don’t know much about Croatia or Hvar. What you do know is that you need a ceremony and reception venue.
We will help you with find a ceremony venue.
Here is the list of the top 5 venues for the symbolic, civil or religious ceremony in the city of Hvar:
1. Most popular one is definitely is the St Mark’s monastery. Not only this ceremony venue is full of charm and history but it is also the most romantic one. Built in the 14th century St Mark’s monastery was for centuries the seat of the aristocratic Great Council. Nowadays it houses a collection of prehistoric, Greek and Roman artifacts and items. This ceremony venue is intended only for symbolic and civil weddings.
2. For all those that want to get married in a church and have a catholic wedding ceremony, St Stephen’s Cathedral is the right choice. Situated right on the main square (so-called “Pjaca”) the cathedral is difficult to miss out. It was built in Renaissance style with a central Gothic tower and is for sure the most impressive building in the city of Hvar.
3. The Franciscan monastery is built in the 15th century and overlooks the sea. You can access it easily, as it is only 5 - 10 minutes away from Hvar’s center. The monastery is known for its magnificent painting of the Last Supper (2 x 8 m) which leaves everyone breathless. Besides the church where you can have a catholic wedding ceremony there is also a beautiful cloister where you can have a civil wedding as well.
4. Hannibal Lucic’s Summer residence was built in the 16th century. It consists of two buildings and a large fenced garden in the Renaissance style. The complex is located in the fields, outside the town walls but also very close to the center of the city of Hvar. In this beautiful residence, you can have civil and symbolic wedding ceremony.
5. Fortress“Fortica” (Španjola) – for those that value the breathtaking views and just want to go big, Fortica fortress is the right wedding ceremony venue. It was designed in the mid 16th century by Venetian and Spanish military architects. Its architecture and military history will certainly impress you and the view over the city of Hvar and surrounding Pakleni islands will leave you breathless. You can reach the fortress by car or by foot but bear in mind that it is a 30-minute walk uphill. The fortress is also intended for civil and symbolic wedding ceremonies.
All the venues listed here will certainly make your wedding ceremony unique and special and are worth the effort of having a destination wedding in the city of Hvar.